Wednesday, September 22, 2021
15.8 C
Myrtle

NOAA Predicts 60% Chance Of Above Normal Hurricane Activity In 2021

Must read

David Huckshttps://myrtlebeachsc.com
David Hucks is a 12th generation descendant of the area we now call Myrtle Beach, S.C. David attended Coastal Carolina University and like most of his family, has never left the area. David is the lead journalist at MyrtleBeachSC.com

The Atlantic hurricane season begins today and runs through November. The Myrtle Beach area, as well as, Horry County in general has seen its share of hurricanes over the past few years.

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center forecasts another above-normal hurricane season. The group believes there is a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

Named Hurricanes

NOAA forecasts 13 to 20 named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher. Six to ten storms are predicted to become hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher.

3 to 5 major hurricanes are predicted to become category three or higher with winds of 111 mph or higher.

The major hurricane concern for Horry County residents has been the ongoing flooding along the Waccamaw River, Intercoastal Waterway, and Little Pee Dee River.

Homes are now being continually flooded at the highest frequency in the county’s history.

Comments

comments

- Advertisement -

More articles

Latest article

- Advertisement -

Comments

comments