NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – North Myrtle Beach Police Captain, Dana Crowell, will be named the new Police Chief on Friday, January 6, 2023. A swearing-in ceremony will be held at City Hall at 3 p.m.
The current Police Chief, Tommy Dennis, will be taking on the role of Associate Judge. City Manager, Mike Mahaney, is naming Crowell the new Police Chief.
Crowell will become the eighth police chief since the City of North Myrtle Beach was incorporated in 1968. She will also become the department’s first female police chief.
Crowell was appointed to the position of Professional Standards Captain in 2020 and is currently responsible for the daily operations of the agency as well as Internal Investigations and Departmental Hiring. During her twenty years as a law enforcement professional with the North Myrtle Beach Police Department she has proven herself to be a competent and forward-thinking leader.
BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS FOR CAPTAIN DANA CROWELL
- Crowell is an active member of various professional organizations including:
- The National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
- The International Association of Chiefs of Police
- The South Carolina Police Chief Association
- The Southern Police Institute’s Alumni Association
- The North Myrtle Beach Rotary Club
- The South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Association
Crowell is a graduate of the University of Louisville’s Southern Police Institute’s 134th Administrative Officers Course and holds a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice Administration from Columbia University, in Columbia South Carolina as well as an Associate Degree of Science in Criminal Justice from Horry-Georgetown Technical College.